Professor of Chinese and Religious Studies
(on leave FL16-SP17)
Ph.D., Stanford University
203 January Hall
Tu/Th 1:15-2:15pm; or by appointment
Campus Box 1111
One Brookings Drive
St. Louis, MO 63130-4899
Buddhism Chinese religion and literature, Pre-modern Chinese women's literature and culture.
- L23 106 Intro to Hinduism, Buddhism, and East Asian Religions
- L23 311 Buddhist Traditions
- L04 341 Literature of Early and Imperial China
- L04 382/482 Writing Women of Imperial China
- L23 418 Gender and Sexuality in East Asian Religions
- L23 4711 Topics in Religious Studies: Gender and Religion in China
- L04 477 Reading Seminar in Chinese Traditional Poetry
- L23 479 Seminar in Religious Studies: Engendering Religious Studies
- L04 481 Reading Seminar in Religion and Chinese Literature
- L04 490 Topics in Chinese Literature & History: Writing Women of Late Imperial and Republican China
- L04 521 Practicum in Literary Translation (Chinese)
- Escape from Blood Pond Hell: The Tales of Mulian and Woman Huang (with Wilt Idema) (Washington University Press, 2011).
- Eminent Nuns: Women Chan Masters of Seventeenth-Century China (University of Hawaii Press, 2008).
- The Red Brush: Women Writers of Imperial China (with Wilt Idema) (Asia Center Harvard University, 2004).
- Daughters of Emptiness: Poems of Chinese Buddhist Nuns (Wisdom Publications, 2003).
- Mount Lu Revisited: Buddhism in the Life and Writings of Su Shih (1037-1107) (University of Hawaii's Press, 1994).
- WU Newsroom: "The Red Brush"
- WU Magazine: "Writing on the Dome of the Sky"