THE MINOR IN CHINESE LANGUAGE & CULTURE requires 18 units, no more than 12 of which may be in language.
These 18 units must include:
- At least two years of Modern Chinese or the equivalent.
- At least 9 units must be 300-level or above.
- Chinese 227C (Chinese Civilization).
- Either Chinese 341 (Early and Imperial Chinese Literature) or Chinese 342 (Modern and Contemporary Chinese Literature). Minors are strongly encouraged to take both courses in the sequence.
- Students must earn at least a B- or above in language courses in order to continue to the next level. They must also maintain at least a B- average in all courses taken to fulfill the minor requirements. Students who do not meet this requirement may either repeat the course/s in question or earn at least a B- in an approved equivalent course or courses (either during the summer or in a study abroad program).
- Students who place out of our language courses, in consultation with one's advisor, must enroll in Traditional Literary Chinese and/or additional content courses that are home-based in the EALC department to meet the required total units for the minor.
- Courses for the minor may not be taken Credit/No Credit.
- No more than 3 units of transfer or study abroad non-language courses may be applied to the minor.
- Students can declare a minor through WebStac.