THE MINOR IN JAPANESE LANGUAGE & CULTURE requires 18 units, no more than 12 of which may be in language.
These 18 units must include:
- At least two years of Modern Japanese or the equivalent.
- At least 9 units must be 300-level or above.
- Japanese 226C (Japanese Civilization).
- Japanese 332 (Japanese Literature: Beginnings to Nineteenth Century).
- Japanese 333 (The Modern Voice in Japanese Literature).
- Students must earn at least a B- or above in language courses in order to continue to the next level. They must also maintain at least a B- average in all courses taken to fulfill the minor requirements. Students who do not meet this requirement may either repeat the course/s in question or earn at least a B- in an approved equivalent course or courses (either during the summer or in a study abroad program).
- Students who place out of our language courses, in consultation with one's advisor, must enroll in classical Japanese and/or additional content courses that are home-based in the EALC department to meet the required total units for the minor.
- Courses for the minor may not be taken Credit/No Credit.
- No more than 3 units of transfer or study-abroad non-language courses may be applied to the minor. Core courses (226C, 332, 333) should be taken in residence.
- Students can declare a minor through WebStac.