Robert E. Hegel
Campus Box 1111
One Brookings Drive
St. Louis, MO 63130-4899
Narrative forms and conventions in late imperial China (1500-1900); practices of reading and writing; book culture; literature and ethics; legal writing; translation studies.
"I am now editing a complete translation of the late seventeenth century Chinese short story collection, Doupeng xianhua (Idle Talk under the Bean Arbor). The twelve stories were authored by a man known only as Layman Aina and are written in the voices of several of the people passing time in the shade of the arbor; the collection has a frame story reminiscent of Canterbury Tales that is unique in the Chinese literary tradition. All except one of the translators are WU alums, students, or faculty: Mei Chun, Lane Harris, Zhang Jing, Alex Wille, Li Fang-yu, and Annelise Finnegan Wasmoen; the only participant not from WU is Lindsey Waldrop, Ph.D. candidate in Chinese at University of Oregon, who is writing her dissertation on the collection. I'm also translating two of the stories."
- L04 227C Chinese Civilization
- L04 341 Literature of Early and Imperial China
- L04 467 The Chinese Theater
- L04 476 Reading Seminar in Chinese Traditional Fiction: The Early Novel
- L04 480 Reading Seminar in Chinese Popular Literature and Culture
- L04 560 Special Topics Seminar in Chinese Literatures
- L04 565 Seminar: Literature & Culture of the Yuan, Ming and Qing
- Shiqi shiji zhanghui xiaoshuo 十七世紀章回小説 (Novels of the Seventeenth Century), trans. Mei Chun 春梅 , ed. Li Qiancheng 李前程 (revised and expanded edition of The Novel in Seventeenth-Century China). Forthcoming.
- Reading Illustrated Fiction in Late Imperial China. Stanford: Stanford University Press, 1998.
- The Novel in Seventeenth Century China. New York: Columbia University Press, 1981; rpt. Taipei: Caves Books, 1981.
Edited Volumes of Essays
- Writing and Law in Late Imperial China: Crime, Conflict, and Judgment, edited, with Katherine Carlitz. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 2007.
- Expressions of Self in Chinese Literature, edited, with Richard C. Hessney. New York: Columbia University Press, 1985.
- Idle Talk Under the Bean Arbor: A Seventeenth-Century Chinese Collection, edited, and translated with Li Qiancheng, Mei Chun, Lane Harris, Li Fang-yu, Alexander C. Wille, Zhang Jing, Annelise Finegan Wasmoen, Xu Yunjing, and Lindsey Waldrop. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 2017.
- True Crimes in Eighteenth-Century China: Twenty Case Histories, edited and translated, with contributions by Maram Epstein, Mark McNicholas, and Joanna Waley-Cohen. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 2009.